Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Cspan_live_play-1

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

+8
tdan
JaneWI
Terrync
carolinamom18
pugsrit
mya11
Phillymg
tofer
12 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Terrync Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:44 pm

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/27/business-nc-unemployment-benefits_8438611.html

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Phillymg Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 am

On behalf of those suffering in NC.....before I hit the sack.....please let me add.....

THOM TILLIS HATES THE UNEMPLOYED

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 Tillis.thom_w300

THOM TILLIS WANTS TO KILL 37,000 NC AMERICANS & THEIR KIDS

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 am

Well let me say, even though I don't get my EB benefits I did get approved for 500.00 in food stamps yesterday for me and my children. The Food Stamp office can thank the General Assembly for sending me there. Good Day.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:45 am

I applied also mya11,how long does it take to know if you get approved?

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:57 am

I had all my paperwork with me and they decided on the spot that I had an emergency case. It can take up to a week to be approved in some cases. I should have my card by the end of next week. This will help, but I still have no income to pay my bills. I could hardly make it on the unemployment check. My dad has been helping me some. Good Luck

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Terrync wrote:http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/27/business-nc-unemployment-benefits_8438611.html

NC Jobless Beg GOP, Democrats to Restore Benefits
By EMERY P. DALESIO , 04.27.11, 09:11 PM EDT

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Republican legislators on Wednesday came face-to-face with some of the 37,000 long-term jobless workers cut off from unemployment benefits as a result of a political battle between the GOP and Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue.
House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, and several House GOP colleagues joined Senate Democrats to hear from some of those who were cut off from benefits last week.

forbes:http://www.forbes.com//feeds/ap/2011/04/27/business-nc-unemployment-benefits_8438611.html?partner=yahoobuzz

"How am I going to pay my bills?" said Joyce Fowler of Garner, who said she's been unemployed for two years. "I'm talking for 37,000 people who are in the same position I am - we need these benefits."

The jobless workers are caught in a partisan rift over the seemingly straightforward move to change a formula for calculating unemployment benefits, allowing the federally funded program to continue for people out of work for up to 99 weeks.
Republican lawmakers tied the benefits extension to a bid to force Perdue to accept double-digit budget cuts before negotiations begin in earnest. The GOP added language to the benefits extension committing Perdue to a spending cut at least 13 percent below what she proposed in February. Perdue called the linkage "extortion."

Tillis said the GOP jumped on the benefits extension to settle now the conflict between "two ideologically disparate differences in how we're going to balance the budget. We're going to balance this budget by reducing taxes, by reducing or limiting the scope of government."

Perdue's budget proposal included partially extending a tax due to expire when the current budget year ends in June. Tillis says he's waiting for Perdue to propose a compromise and wants "the governor to take a step in our direction." "We'd like the governor to tell us where we need to go from here. And hopefully she'll do that quickly so that we can end these stories and provide these people some relief," Tillis said.

Perdue's staff referred to the governor's letter explaining her veto, saying she will sign legislation changing the unemployment benefits formula that is "free of these antics."

A teary-eyed Ken Williams of Wilson begged Republican lawmakers to approve legislation changing an eligibility formula so that he could afford the cost of moving to his son's farm while he looks for work. He said he was laid off from his job as a respiratory therapist two years ago. "You folks are holding my future in your hands. And you're holding hostage federal money," Williams said. "This doesn't cost the state a penny." "I am very upset that the Republicans have chosen to lead in this way."
Imo it would be a good idea to have a hearing like this in every state where cruel & heartless Legislators are refusing to pass the Three Year Lookback law. Prayers ongoing for those who are suffering needlessly in NC, TN, & WI..... Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by aloneinpa Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Phillymg wrote:
Terrync wrote:http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/27/business-nc-unemployment-benefits_8438611.html

NC Jobless Beg GOP, Democrats to Restore Benefits
By EMERY P. DALESIO , 04.27.11, 09:11 PM EDT

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Republican legislators on Wednesday came face-to-face with some of the 37,000 long-term jobless workers cut off from unemployment benefits as a result of a political battle between the GOP and Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue.
House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, and several House GOP colleagues joined Senate Democrats to hear from some of those who were cut off from benefits last week.

forbes:http://www.forbes.com//feeds/ap/2011/04/27/business-nc-unemployment-benefits_8438611.html?partner=yahoobuzz

"How am I going to pay my bills?" said Joyce Fowler of Garner, who said she's been unemployed for two years. "I'm talking for 37,000 people who are in the same position I am - we need these benefits."

The jobless workers are caught in a partisan rift over the seemingly straightforward move to change a formula for calculating unemployment benefits, allowing the federally funded program to continue for people out of work for up to 99 weeks.
Republican lawmakers tied the benefits extension to a bid to force Perdue to accept double-digit budget cuts before negotiations begin in earnest. The GOP added language to the benefits extension committing Perdue to a spending cut at least 13 percent below what she proposed in February. Perdue called the linkage "extortion."

Tillis said the GOP jumped on the benefits extension to settle now the conflict between "two ideologically disparate differences in how we're going to balance the budget. We're going to balance this budget by reducing taxes, by reducing or limiting the scope of government."

Perdue's budget proposal included partially extending a tax due to expire when the current budget year ends in June. Tillis says he's waiting for Perdue to propose a compromise and wants "the governor to take a step in our direction." "We'd like the governor to tell us where we need to go from here. And hopefully she'll do that quickly so that we can end these stories and provide these people some relief," Tillis said.

Perdue's staff referred to the governor's letter explaining her veto, saying she will sign legislation changing the unemployment benefits formula that is "free of these antics."

A teary-eyed Ken Williams of Wilson begged Republican lawmakers to approve legislation changing an eligibility formula so that he could afford the cost of moving to his son's farm while he looks for work. He said he was laid off from his job as a respiratory therapist two years ago. "You folks are holding my future in your hands. And you're holding hostage federal money," Williams said. "This doesn't cost the state a penny." "I am very upset that the Republicans have chosen to lead in this way."
Imo it would be a good idea to have a hearing like this in every state where cruel & heartless Legislators are refusing to pass the Three Year Lookback law. Prayers ongoing for those who are suffering needlessly in NC, TN, & WI..... Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306 Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306

"We'd like the governor to tell us where we need to go from here.
I know where I'd like to tell them where to go! Twisted Evil

A friendly reminder.....Don't forget, those in NC, TN, and WI....you can use that form letter (PA EB section) to email your state legislators to pressure them to change a formula for calculating unemployment benefits (3 year look back), allowing the federally funded program to continue for people out of work for up to 99 weeks. You may need to tweek it to fit your state.
aloneinpa
aloneinpa
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 pm

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2011/05/03/as-legislature-drags-feet-life%E2%80%99s-troubles-move-forward-for-one-of-the-37000-jobless/

State Senate Democrats are taking another stab at restoring federal benefits for the 37,000 jobless cut off from their unemployment checks because of a budget fight state leaders are having.Democrats would need two-thirds of the Senate to pass the bill restoring benefits, a big hurdle with the GOP members in the majority and the issue falling down partisan sides, and it would take at least 10 days to have a vote on the petition, said state Sen. Martin Nesbitt, the Democratic leader in the Senate, in a Tuesday press conference.If the discharge position doesn’t work, Nesbitt hopes to have a hearing like he held last week, where some of the affected workers came and gave emotional pleas to restore the benefits.“They’re good people and they’re not deadbeats and they’re not trying to beat the system,” Nesbitt said. “They’re trying to survive.”House Democrats are working on a discharge petition as well.But state Sen. Phil Berger, the GOP leader in the Senate, said yesterday he had no plans to move forward with restoring the benefits for the 37,000, according to WRAL. (The station has the video of both Berger and Nesbitt’s comments.)

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pugsrit Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm

When this happened in Missouri the backash from the public was overwhelming in support of the unemployed and this basically a red state. The 4 GOP Senators that blocked the vote to accept the funds did an about face when they realized that they did not have the support they thought they had. Now the compromise that they did to get them to stop blocking the vote was to change reg unemployment from 26 weeks to 20 weeks. It is six weeks short however, still 93 weeks is better then 79 weeks ( that is if UE keeps getting extended throughout 2012. I am very very sad that North Carolina has chosen to take this stance. I don't know what the political climate it is in your state but I hope this gets passed. I have written emails to your legislators on behalf of the suffering unemployed in your state. I can't stand that this is happening.

Most people who collect UE benefits do not cheat the system but because of a few bad apples we all get lumped into the lazy category. There are some people that just need scapegoats. I have realized that too many people in this country are just mean spirited and they seem to ally themselves with the GOP. Just my observation.
pugsrit
pugsrit
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : family time, pets and arts and crafts.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I heard from a state representative last week that a compromise with the governor was in the works. He said it should be resolved in a week or so. That was last Thursday. I emailed him again today but have not heard a response. I did read that a budget passed the house again. I think this are two different things. The first bill, that Perdue vetoed, was just Eb and a continuing resolution. This is an actual budget.

I am hoping this compromise is still on.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I am just wondering where the EB bill is now. No one has mentioned it on the news reports. This is so frustrating. I am so tired of being snubbed by the State government.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Oh the stand alone bill? I heard the dems were going to try and push it but it won't pass without republican support and there is not enough pressure on them yet. I can't wait another month for this to happen.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I can't wait that long either. I'm not sure where to turn now.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Phil Berger & Thom Tillis sadistically enjoy scapegoating the jobless.

They know full well that there are not enough jobs & won't be till 2013.

They know full well that US corporations have been outsourcing millions of jobs to China, India, & Brazil.

They know full well that they want their rich friends to get even richer while laid-off Americans & their children suffer from lack of jobs.

I'm glad I'm a Christian believer because I know they'll go to h*ll. Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 805487

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

I know this sounds like crap a politician would say but just try and hang in there. Trust me I am in the same boat as you. I woke up today with 82 cents in my checking account.

Someone owes me a little money which I hope I can get or I am pretty screwed.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Good luck, I made a call yesterday to someone who owes me 100.00, that I loaned him a 2 years ago. Have not heard back. The only thing left to sell is my home, and that may happened if I don't pay the rest of my property taxes in 10 days. I'm all cried out, now just angry.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Don't know if you guys know this but *the very moment* that you stop being eligible for UC.....which is the next day after you receive your last UC payment.....you should contact your County's public assistance office. Every County has one. Apply for Food Stamps. If you have one or more children apply for TANF cash assistance. By law they have 30 days to process your application but some Counties have an Emergency procedure if you *go in person* & bring all your documents--rental lease or mortgage paper, most recent electric/phone/cable bills (two utility bills), your own (& your child's) SS card & birth certificate, driver's lic or state ID--they can sometimes process Food Stamp card immediately or very soon. Even if unemployment EB benefits are finally approved retroactively you still get to keep the Food Stamps etc. issued to you while you had a *ZERO INCOME*. After the law passes within 10 days after you receive your next UC payment you must notify your County assistance office that your income has increased & they'll cancel your Food Stamps etc. Hope this info. is helpful. Like a Star @ heaven

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks, I did apply for FS. I am approved. This will help greatly.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Same here... got my EBT Card today.

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

County Assistance Offices in NC, TN, & WI are likely putting major *pressure* on their state legislatures to hurry up & pass the EB Acceptance Bill. County Assistance Offices are overloaded already without having to deal with a problem created by politics unrelated to UC benefits. Thousands of families who wouldn't otherwise apply for Food Stamps etc. are suddenly flooding County Assistance Offices. Prayers ongoing for our unemployed & underemployed brothers & sisters (& their families) in North Carolina, Tennessee, & Wisconsin.
Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th - Page 6 443306

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 pm

So true, my caseworker told me they were swamped with new applications a week after the benefits ended, so sad.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 pm

http://www.news-record.com/blog/capblog/

The House passed its budget today on a 72-47 vote. It now goes to the Senate, where lawmakers are going to come up with their own version of the budget.I noted earlier that Gov. Bev Perdue, a Democrat, said she believed that five House Democrats who voted for the Republican House budget would back her if push came to veto later in the year (link). (For those playing the home game: Republicans in the House are four votes away from a veto-proof majority. That means they need to win over at least four Democrats when they're in a spat with the governor. So far this year, they've lost those tussles. The question around the General Assembly is whether those five Dem votes for the GOP budget indicate Perdue has lost some leverage in budget negotiations.) At least two of those five Dems have given reporters quotes that give the governor's notion some credence.Rep. Bill Owens, an Elizabeth City Democrat, is a conservative Democrat but someone who has generally been a team player. When I asked Owens if he would stick by the governor, he didn't address that question head on but said there would need to be some changes in any final House-Senate budget deal before he'd back it.“I think one thing’s got to take place. I think additional revenue has got to be found to restore some of the cuts, especially in education. And I’ve told House leadership that and I think some of my colleagues have too,” Owens said after Wednesday's vote to send the budget to the Senate. “I’ve also advised it would be a good idea to sit down on regular basis with the governor and with Speaker Hackney and kind of touch base … get some meetings where we are and not get into a veto situation.”“Additional revenue” is typically Raleigh-speak for more taxes, which House Republicans have steadfastly opposed. When I put that to Owens, he said, “No, no – there’s some other options.”So, just to be clear, Owens was asked if there wasn’t more revenue – from wherever – to blunt some of the education cuts, will he not support the conference report on the budget between the House and Senate.

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed May 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Sounds like the NC State Budget Battle has become a game of chicken up to near whatever is the planned adjournment day. Does anyone know what date the NC legislature is set to adjourn for the year??

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 9:56 pm

I know the budget has to be in place by the end of June, or they don't get paid.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Lt Gov Walter Dalton is putting the pressure on to get the EB passed...
Lt. Governor Dalton Calls on Senate to Pass Unemployment Aid Bill

4/26/2011Contact: Schorr Johnson 919-733-0098

Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton today called on the Senate to take up the bipartisan legislation (Senate Bill 584) that would extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 North Carolinian whose coverage lapsed April 16th:

“As the Presiding Officer of the Senate, it is not my role to jump into the debate during the Senate session. However, I have watched for the last week while the Senate discussed all sorts of issues that have nothing to do with jobs and the economy. Meanwhile, 37,000 of our citizens have lost unemployment benefits because of a political stunt. Rural areas of North Carolina have been the hardest hit by the recession and we owe these people more than just partisan jockeying. I call on the leadership of the Senate to take up the clean, bipartisan unemployment legislation and allow Senators a fair and open debate, and the chance to vote their conscience. If the leadership will not, a discharge petition is in order and I call on Senators to sign it.”

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next