Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Cspan_live_play-1

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers

4 posters

Go down

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Empty North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers

Written by Alyssa Marcus

Thursday, 28 April 2011 09:54

(RALEIGH) -- Out-of-work North Carolinians have made their
emotional pleas to state lawmakers in hopes of getting their
unemployment benefits back. Ken Williams is one of thousands of people
who lost unemployment benefits two weeks ago.

Williams said that the
lack of a job, and now the lack of unemployment benefits, has forced him
to become a person that he has never been before.

"Last night I went to my daughter's, she wanted to borrow something
from me and she had to give me gas money to get there and I've never
been like that in my life," said Williams in an emotional plea.

Unemployment benefits in the state were lost for 37, 000 people when
Gov. Beverly Perdue vetoed legislation that would have extended the
jobless checks. The governor objected to a backup budget plan included
in the bill that would have cut state spending by 13 percent if
lawmakers did not pass a formal plan by June 30.
http://www.ncnn.com/edit-news/6812-unemployed-make-urgent-plea-to-lawmakers

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Empty Re: North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 pm

I received this email from republican representative Mitch Gillespie yesterday.

A compromise with the governor is being worked out and it should be resolved in a week or so.

Mitch

I hadn't emailed him in a couple weeks so this email coming out of the blue, from a republican, and not being a form letter is a good sign.

We just need to hang on a little bit more, it should be back on in a couple weeks.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers Empty Re: North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:I received this email from republican representative Mitch Gillespie yesterday.

A compromise with the governor is being worked out and it should be resolved in a week or so.

Mitch

I hadn't emailed him in a couple weeks so this email coming out of the blue, from a republican, and not being a form letter is a good sign.

We just need to hang on a little bit more, it should be back on in a couple weeks.

Thank you Lendme for sharing this hopeful news! I hope they get it passed quickly for our NC members.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:06 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:I received this email from republican representative Mitch Gillespie yesterday.

Mitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:48 am

Need2Bworking wrote:

Mitch

our poor state has been slammed with the loss of textile industry and furniture mfg. This was all well beore the meltdown. I have to believe they will step up~

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Let's hope someone steps up and supports Extended Benefits. By the way Thom Tillis is a coward and needs to be kicked to the curb. Have a good weekend.

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrync Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

On Friday, N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, a Cornelius Republican, took questions from charlotteobserver.com readers. Below are excerpts. Questions have been edited for brevity and clarity.
Q: When will you allow a vote on the bill that would extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 North Carolinians who lost them two weeks ago on April 16?
I am hopeful we will work something out this week. We need to extend the benefits AND we need to avoid the future risk of temporary job losses if we reach an impasse on budget negotiations.
Q: Why on earth would the GOP consider cutting back on early voting? That is a horrible idea. Early voting makes the polls much more accessible.
Early voting scope changes? Several factors, not the least of which is cost. ... Early voting is very important. It is only a matter of duration and scope. A shorter duration can allow for more locations, for example.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/30/2261074/nc-house-speaker-reduce-regulation.html#ixzz1LDhVuBSW

Terrync
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Wed May 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Budget has been passed in NC, what happened to the EB benefits bill?

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 pm

I think these are two different things.

I heard last week from a representative that a compromise with the governor was being worked out and this should be resolved in a week or so.

The bill that Perdue vetoed was the Eb and a continuing resolution on the budget, not a budget itself.

This is the actual republican budget. I hope that compromise is still on.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Wed May 04, 2011 9:02 pm

mya11 wrote:Budget has been passed in NC, what happened to the EB benefits bill?
Did the NC budget law pass both the senate & the house of NC.....if so when will the Gov. sign??

Imo once the NC budget becomes law the NC legislature will have no choice but to finally pass the EB acceptance law.

Those NC state legislators know they have to run for re-election. They can stall the EB acceptance law & cause alot of damage to their constituents in the process (which is already hurting their chances to get re-elected even if they don't know it yet) but adjourning for the year without accepting the EB from the fed govt would be political suicide & all of them R & D alike surely do know that.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down