Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Cspan_live_play-1

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

+8
tdan
JaneWI
Terrync
carolinamom18
pugsrit
mya11
Phillymg
tofer
12 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Empty Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Drop in NC unemployment rate means drop in jobless benefits

Raleigh, N.C. — About 37,000 unemployed
North Carolinians will lose their jobless benefits in two weeks,
according to the state Employment Security Commission.The ESC's
extended benefits program kicks in after someone has exhausted regular
unemployment benefits and all federal extensions. It lasts for 20 weeks
and relies on a federal formula to determine eligibility. Because the
statewide unemployment rate has declined in recent months, the federal
government ordered North Carolina to stop providing extended benefits as
of April 16."We have no choice. We have no choice in this," ESC
Vice Chairman David Clegg said. "The federal government tells the state
when it triggers on and triggers off."The state unemployment rate was 9.7 percent in February, down from 11.4 percent a year earlier.

http://l.wbx.me/l/?instId=96fe2678-90a4-4f3a-b33b-274faca0728e&token=30373b2c41c7fe8a1ccef33984fb47c7bd8cac260000012f1967af85&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26fd%3DR%26usg%3DAFQjCNGO3driz0n83mDGcTv4dBV7G6XJfw%26url%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wral.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fstory%2F9384245%2F

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by tofer Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey Need2Bworking...I have been posting my thoughts about this on the Announcements Forum...this story today infuriates me...the employment commission makes the comment "We have no choice...the Federal Government tells the state when it triggers on and triggers off"...Correct, the Employment office has no choice but this is a complete lie as the Federal Govt has recently changed the rules from a 2 year lookback to a 3 year lookback to assess eligibility...it is up to the state legislatures to adopt this change and it is likely that nc will not...arrrggghhh
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Accounting

Back to top Go down

Extended benefits end in North  Carolina April 16th Empty Re: Extended benefits end in North Carolina April 16th

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I started a new thread so all the guests who view from NC will realize their benefits are ending.
The state could pass the legislation to go to a three year lookback and keep the 37,000 people from losing the extended benefits. Three states have already done so.

Sure seems like more and more states are trying to keep people from collecting

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 pm

i go to several local networking groups and many at today's were totally confused about this announcement that was just made about eb...even though i'm still in the tiers, i think it would at least be "decent" not to just cut people off that are already in the eb program...i think they should at least let them run out or give them a better notice...
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:08 pm

and we're still at 9.7 which is one of the highest in the nation...we have 439K unemployed in nc...and only 17K jobs were created in february...we have a long way to go
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Everyone in North Carolina should understand that there is a quick fix for this. The feds cleared the way by allowing states to adopt a three year lookback for the extended benefit trigger.

Three states have already changed the lookback and allowed the unemployed in those states to continue to collect EB.

Start mass emailing all the media making sure they are aware there is a quick fix available to keep 37,000 people from losing their lifeline.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 pm

tofer wrote:i go to several local networking groups and many at today's were totally confused about this announcement that was just made about eb...even though i'm still in the tiers, i think it would at least be "decent" not to just cut people off that are already in the eb program...i think they should at least let them run out or give them a better notice...

Hey from Charlotte but out for a looooong time but, if you want to, wont hurt, send an e-mail and ask what the deal really is. Send it to Jane.Green@ncesc.gov It's as high as you'll get an immediate response from and she is high up the ladder and close to the action. She will respond to you I promise. She may not be able to say much if anything but give it a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:01 am

Need2Bworking wrote:Drop in NC unemployment rate means drop in jobless benefits

when it triggers on and triggers off."The state unemployment rate was 9.7 percent in February, down from 11.4 percent a year earlier.

http://l.wbx.me/l/?instId=96fe2678-90a4-4f3a-b33b-274faca0728e&token=30373b2c41c7fe8a1ccef33984fb47c7bd8cac260000012f1967af85&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26fd%3DR%26usg%3DAFQjCNGO3driz0n83mDGcTv4dBV7G6XJfw%26url%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wral.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fstory%2F9384245%2F

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 am

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am

Hiooping all our members from North Carolina see this and prepare

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm

i've emailed so many in the state govt and tv stations about this...no one will listen to me...arrrgghhh
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

i'm determined to get someone's attention in nc about this...the governor has ignored my email, the local news stations has ignored my email, the commissioner of the esc office has ignored my email...now i've sent the below to our US Senator from NC....

Dear Senator Hagan...I'm writing this note trying to find someone that understands the unemployment issue in NC and will listen. This past week, the notice has been publicized regarding the ending of Extended Benefits for NC's unemployed. Even though i'm still on the tiers, I am frustrated at the mis-information that our local leaders and the local news media have been propagating. What does it take to get the proper information out to the unemployed of NC? I have researched this thoroughly and understand the formula used by states to assess eligibility. The original formula from the Federal Government said that states were to use a 2 year lookback rule. Based on this 2 year lookback rule, NC no longer qualifies for the EB program. However, the Federal Government has changed the rule to a 3 year lookback. Under a 3 year lookback, NC would now be eligible for the EB program. Everyone in the news media and the ESC office is blaming the Fed. It is not the Fed, it is the NC State Legislature. The Federal government has left it up to the states to make the decision on rather they should adopt the new change to 3 years. NC has not. I understand that other states also have chosen not to adopt the new rule simply out of fiscal concern, as the money for this program would eventually have to be paid back to the Federal government. I think at 9.7% unemployment, NC should at least ponder the change to re-establish the EB program. I'm not one to make a big fuss, but I have received no response from our Governer's Office, the local news channel, nor the Commissioner of the ESC. I would be glad to contact every member of the NC General Assembly, but I see they are too busy passing legislation such as the new Senate Bill 276 to allow liquor tastings at ABC stores. What has happened to our priorities? Thank you for your time and consideration.
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Vice Chairman David Clegg
said. "The federal government tells the state

Tofer--You might want to point out to the NC press that this guy David Clegg is lying thru his teeth. Yes the federal govt has established the 6.0% & 8.5% UE rates to get the first 13 & further 7 weeks of EB.....but each state's legislature must pass the THREE-YEAR LOOKBACK RULE to get the EB. It's *not* the fault of the fed govt as David Clegg claims.....it's the fault of the NC state legislature.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Sad our states elected officials to take this position. Don't blame the DOL as they take their orders from the legislature, so that's the point of attack we need to take. NC loke so many others is so far in debt to the US govt on UI they will prbably resist any move to chage their position. It never ends does it?

Back to top Go down

Post by mya11 Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm sending emails daily, dont know what else to do. Can I get emails for Kay Hagen and Bev Perdue

mya11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 pm

It sure seems like once the extensions passed the states started figuring out ways to not pay the unemployment benefits. WTH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm

mya11 wrote:I'm sending emails daily, dont know what else to do. Can I get emails for Kay Hagen and Bev Perdue

I will reserve any comment that either will be helpful but, maybr Google their names or go on FaceBook and search, you'll find the contact info one way or another.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by tofer Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:38 pm

mya11 wrote:I'm sending emails daily, dont know what else to do. Can I get emails for Kay Hagen and Bev Perdue

hey..sorry i didn't check the posts earlier...here are the email addresses and websites i used for kay hagan and bev perdue

bev perdue - office of the governor...you can either use the direct email or go to the website and submit the email thru the site
governor.office@nc.gov
http://www.governor.state.nc.us/contact/Contact.aspx

kay hagan...here you have to go into the us senate/kay hagan website and submit the email thru the site
http://hagan.senate.gov/

hope this helps...thanks for helping me in trying to get someone's attention...i've emailed bev perdue last night and kay hagan today...at least on the kay hagan site, you can click to request a response, so hopefully someone will read it...i thought i would get further with kay hagan rather than richard burr
tofer
tofer
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 pm

tofer wrote:

hey..sorry i didn't check the posts earlier...here are the email addresses and websites i used for kay hagan and bev perdue

bev perdue - office of the governor...you can either use the direct email or go to the website and submit the email thru the site
governor.office@nc.gov
http://www.governor.state.nc.us/contact/Contact.aspx

kay hagan...here you have to go into the us senate/kay hagan website and submit the email thru the site
http://hagan.senate.gov/

hope this helps...thanks for helping me in trying to get someone's attention...i've emailed bev perdue last night and kay hagan today...at least on the kay hagan site, you can click to request a response, so hopefully someone will read it...i thought i would get further with kay hagan rather than richard burr

Hey I will jump in as well. I have been out for ages but this is my state and not right. I will include Sue Myrick , my Senate Rep who I sorta know as well. Maybe we can get something going!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56 am

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:25 am

going to be a lot more 99 ers if the states don't go to the three year lookback on the triggers. Only three states have done so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next