Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Cspan_live_play-1

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states

5 posters

Go down

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Empty Durbin wants unemployment aid for states

Post by msanonymous222 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-durbin-wants-unemployment-aid-for-states-20110213,0,7504913.story

Sen. Durbin has been quiet on the issue of unemployment for a while now. This latest news is all well and good...but what about the short-term problem--those unemployed who have no benefits, who have been hanging by a thread for so long now?

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Empty Re: Durbin wants unemployment aid for states

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 am

Now this is getting better! what we need!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states Empty Re: Durbin wants unemployment aid for states

Post by msanonymous222 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am

I do agree...but I wish he'd be as vocal as he once in speaking out for benefits for ALL unemployed, knowing full well that the 99ers are still WITHOUT, that this last bill passed did NOTHING for them.

There are short-term fixes, and long-term fixes. The longer-term fixes are the aid to the states. But the short-term fix HAS to be loud support for the 99ers to get their benefits. Sure, H.R. 589 has a long way to go before it even conceivably gets to the Senate. But he could be addressing it.

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 am

OH!!! What the heck!!! This is for bailout money for states unemployment funds and nothing for 99 er's.. Thats what I am afraid is going to hurt us, no one will support extensions when at the same time they are bailing out states!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by TMKLBMT Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 am

"The reality is there are too many people out of work. They desperately need money to survive. And we know that money spent on unemployment benefits goes straight into the economy to help create more demand for goods and services," Durbin said.

This seems like an odd statement, considering that the premise of the article is that there is a push for IL to be given a two year extension on interest payments.....it said nothing about spending money to provide benefits. I agree- the more stories about "unemployment aid" the worse it is for us because there is already a misconception that all unemployed were just helped.....

TMKLBMT
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msanonymous222 Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 am

He knows better. And I KNOW he knows better. That's what's eating at me about his comments. He knows very, very well that 99ers weren't helped.

I'm so disappointed in Dick Durbin anymore....it's all well and good to do something like this, but you have to take care of your constituents...ALL constituents...in the short-term to help them survive.

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states 822786 Got Dick Durbin's email today about creating jobs. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Same email sent out last year. What about co-sponsoring the bill to help the 99ers? WHERE ARE THE JOBS?
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msanonymous222 Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 am

He's a senator. This is a House bill, so sponsorship comes from the representatives of the House. Currently the bill has 61 co-sponsors, including five from IL (including Jesse Jackson, Jr. and my rep, Jan Schakowsky, who's always at the forefront of House sponsorship for unemployment bills).

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msanonymous222 Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 am

sigh What is going ON at Durbin's?

Democracy For America has been pressing Durbin not to
agree to cuts to Social Security or other entitlements, which led to a
meeting between group members and a Durbin staffer in Illinois. Before
the meeting, the staffer pulled the organizer, Dr. Pamella Gronemeyer,
aside and said, "Don't worry, it won't affect you," referring to possible cuts to Social Security, she told HuffPost Hill. "I was taken aback. I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about my kid and other people's kids,"
she said. "I don't care if it affects me. That's not how I make my
decisions. It's not about me. It's the right thing to do. Anybody whose
parents lived through the depression knows what it can be like." Source: HuffPostHill.com

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 am

Not anything in that article about the 99ers
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msanonymous222 Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:25 am

I'm aware of that. Sometimes one has to analyze comments that are made, which will direct them to what the feelings of their senator might be on other issues at the moment as well. In other words...this was blatant on the part of the staffer, and I'm getting a bad feeling about my senator's potential support for the unemployed--or at least the unemployed who weren't part of the recently enacted legislation.

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TMKLBMT Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 am

I agree....and I have been wondering too- WHERE IS DURBIN??

Remember not so long ago he was leading a charge for the unemployed...AND that included 99ers! I personally have spoke to his office and had the impression that he was aware and working to help. Now it does seem there is a shift with him. Which leaves me wondering- did he ever care? Did he really even understand? Is there a reason why once the latest extension was passed he seems to have fallen off the lead horse he was riding for so many months??

Durbin was a big player in unemployment and 99ers last year....if he is now riding the bench it would be interesting to understand why. My opinion is that Durbin is ALWAYS connected to anything to do with 99ers.....unfortunantly it used to be because he was supporting- now it appears maybe thats not the case?

TMKLBMT
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Rolling Eyes This email from Durbin has been sent to me many times. You would think people in his office would know what they are doing.

Friend:

Thank you for your email. I appreciate hearing from you.
We are experiencing a high volume of incoming emails, but every message is read by my staff and if you live in Illinois we will provide a response as soon as possible.
I appreciate your comments. Thank you again for contacting me.
Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:36 pm

TMKLBMT wrote:I agree....and I have been wondering too- WHERE IS DURBIN??

Remember not so long ago he was leading a charge for the unemployed...AND that included 99ers! I personally have spoke to his office and had the impression that he was aware and working to help. Now it does seem there is a shift with him. Which leaves me wondering- did he ever care? Did he really even understand? Is there a reason why once the latest extension was passed he seems to have fallen off the lead horse he was riding for so many months??

Durbin was a big player in unemployment and 99ers last year....if he is now riding the bench it would be interesting to understand why. My opinion is that Durbin is ALWAYS connected to anything to do with 99ers.....unfortunantly it used to be because he was supporting- now it appears maybe thats not the case?
Is Senator Durbin up for election in 2012?
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:42 pm

mrgolf wrote:

No he was just re-elected in 2010.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm

knarf wrote:
mrgolf wrote:

Interesting. I thought maybe he was trying to reposition himself for reelection.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

mrgolf wrote:
knarf wrote:
mrgolf wrote:

Interesting. I thought maybe he was trying to reposition himself for reelection.

Thought the same myself when I was reading another thread about him, so I checked.
As I stated before, I think he was licking his chops in the event of Reid losing, and himself getting the nod for majority leader.

Back to top Go down

Post by msanonymous222 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 pm

He was licking his chops. There was a great back hallway competition going on between him and Chuck Schumer, though both were denying it. I read several interesting articles about it.

Agree w/ what you're saying, TMK. Thanks for understanding why I posted what I posted. Of course they'll deny it...and it'll be interesting to see what happens down the road...but I'm getting the feeling Durbin's abandoned the 99ers on the Titanic. I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case.

msanonymous222
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down