Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Cspan_live_play-1

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

+8
JaneWI
mrgolf
gonzofl
Sunrise
nuttin2lose
CLO
concernedinKY
Jen
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Empty Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

Post by Jen Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill
http://conyers.house.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=News.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=788424eb-19b9-b4b1-129e-484cb600c11f

Washington DC- Representative John Conyers (D-Mich.) today introduced H.R. 870, the “Humphrey-Hawkins 21st
Century Full Employment & Training Act,” a comprehensive and
innovative federal and local government job creation and training bill
that would create millions of new jobs for the nation’s unemployed.
Local jobs would be created through a partnership between the Department
of Labor, state, and local governments, non-profit community
organizations, and small businesses. Under the Act, jobs would be
created in the fields of construction, infrastructure repairs, green
jobs, education, health care, and neighborhood renovation. The Act’s
Full Employment Trust Fund would provide federal funding for local
community-based job creation and training initiatives until full
employment is reached in the United States.
The Act is deficit neutral and fully funded through a modest tax on Wall Street stock and bond transactions.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h870/show

http://thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d112:1:./temp/~bdBkjq:@@@L&summ2=m&

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-870

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr870

Last edited by Jen on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Empty Re: Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

Post by concernedinKY Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

They should piggyback some sort of extension on to this to help us get by until it actually starts working to create jobs.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

https://dawu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Empty Re: Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill

Post by CLO Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

I agree, CiK- I am hopeful that this will pass quickly, given the atmosphere in our country as of late. I love it that Rep. Conyers wrote it as being funded by the Wall Street speculation tax- they owe us big time!
CLO
CLO
Premium Poster

Job/hobbies : Customer service/ healthcare

Back to top Go down

Post by nuttin2lose Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:26 pm

concernedinKY wrote:They should piggyback some sort of extension on to this to help us get by until it actually starts working to create jobs.
Exactly. Someone actually wants to do SOMETHING. Many of us know that a program like this is the only way we will ever work again.

nuttin2lose
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:30 pm

The next time you call or write your elected officials urge them to support this bill. We need an extension but what we need and want most are jobs. This could be the golden goose.

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill 618340
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Sunrise wrote:The next time you call or write your elected officials urge them to support this bill. We need an extension but what we need and want most are jobs. This could be the golden goose.

Urge them to pass this quickly along with H.R. 589. Explain to them that we want the jobs, we want to work, but so many are hanging on by a thread that help is needed until this can work. Let's not let them use this as an excuse to not pass an extension either because so many can't wait for this to work no matter how wonderful an idea it is. In an ideal world, H.R. 589 would be added as an amendment to this bill in some way and we'd get all of what's needed in one package.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 pm

concernedinKY wrote:
Sunrise wrote:The next time you call or write your elected officials urge them to support this bill. We need an extension but what we need and want most are jobs. This could be the golden goose.

Urge them to pass this quickly along with H.R. 589. Explain to them that we want the jobs, we want to work, but so many are hanging on by a thread that help is needed until this can work. Let's not let them use this as an excuse to not pass an extension either because so many can't wait for this to work no matter how wonderful an idea it is. In an ideal world, H.R. 589 would be added as an amendment to this bill in some way and we'd get all of what's needed in one package.

Thanks KY, I was thinking the same thing but didn't post it. Adding HR 589 to this bill would be a very strong jobs creation and economy building bill. For every $1 in unemployment benefits, $1.61 is returned to the economy.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gonzofl Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:53 pm

I like the idea of this HR870. Allot of us have been screaming for a bill like this for the better part of the last 3 years....a 21st century CCC program. I also agree with those who would like to piggy back HR589 to this enabling a little monatary breathing room until HR870 could be fully implemented. This an absolute win-win proposition. This country's infrastructure is in shambles and there are millions of us who are ready,willing and able to take on the task of putting it back together. Even those tight a$$ republicans can't poo poo a deficit neutral proposal such as this.
gonzofl
gonzofl
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 pm

bounce
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 pm

concernedinKY wrote:They should piggyback some sort of extension on to this to help us get by until it actually starts working to create jobs.

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Ditto
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I would jump at a chance to be part of this.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Sample letter I posted in the Contact Ways and Means thread:

Dear Mr. Camp

I am writing you today as a long term unemployed American. In a time when unemployment is so high, when there is one job for every five job seekers, millions of Americans simply cannot be left behind. We are tax paying citizens that are responsible for each and every one of you still being employed. We deserve to be treated better than this. Your colleague Representative Conyers recently introduced H.R. 870, the Humphrey-Hawkins 21st Century Full Employment & Training Act. Combined with H.R. 589 to provide temporary financial relief for those who have exhausted benefits until H.R. 870 can be implemented it is simply the right thing to do, both for the economy and for millions of Americans unable to find work in it.

Respectfully,

An AMERICAN CITIZEN,

Insert name here.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 pm

When I contacted HR to find out why a job that I had applied for had been cancelled, I was told that 30 applicants had applied and that it had been narrowed down to 16.

1 job for every 5 job seekers is an underestimate.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Sunrise wrote:When I contacted HR to find out why a job that I had applied for had been cancelled, I was told that 30 applicants had applied and that it had been narrowed down to 16.

1 job for every 5 job seekers has been an underestimate for a very long time. Two years ago I heard about a full time position that had pretty good benefits. There were over 300 people that applied for it during the first week.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

concernedinKY wrote:Sample letter I posted in the Contact Ways and Means thread:

Dear Mr. Camp

I am writing you today as a long term unemployed American. In a time when unemployment is so high, when there is one job for every five job seekers, millions of Americans simply cannot be left behind. We are tax paying citizens that are responsible for each and every one of you still being employed. We deserve to be treated better than this. Your colleague Representative Conyers recently introduced H.R. 870, the Humphrey-Hawkins 21st Century Full Employment & Training Act. Combined with H.R. 589 to provide temporary financial relief for those who have exhausted benefits until H.R. 870 can be implemented it is simply the right thing to do, both for the economy and for millions of Americans unable to find work in it.

Respectfully,

An AMERICAN CITIZEN,

Insert name here.

Great letter! Take out the it and in it. Wink
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:10 pm

JaneWI wrote:
Sunrise wrote:When I contacted HR to find out why a job that I had applied for had been cancelled, I was told that 30 applicants had applied and that it had been narrowed down to 16.

1 job for every 5 job seekers has been an underestimate for a very long time. Two years ago I heard about a full time position that had pretty good benefits. There were over 300 people that applied for it during the first week.

If they would STOP lying, maybe we could start to get this country back into shape. You can't fix a broken leg unless it is first diagnosed.

Last edited by Sunrise on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Sunrise wrote:
JaneWI wrote:

If they would STOP lying, maybe we could start to get this country back into shape. You can't fix a broken unless it is first diagnosed.

A correct diagnosis of the problem would indeed lead to a better solution. Unfortunately, many people don't want to know what the real problem is. It's less stressful for people to believe the unemployed are lazy than knowing and understanding that the jobs just aren't there.
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Piggyback the H.R. 589 bill with the H.R. 870 bill, that sounds great. It would help us tremendously. Wall Street is booming and it would improve our situation.
Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill 117936
js123
js123
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Many of the jobs that I have applied for have had 300-400 applicants.

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Unemployment-line
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneWI Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

mrgolf wrote:

Conyers Introduces Deficit Neutral Full Employment and Training Bill Unemployment-line

How many media outlets are saying 300-400 applicants per job? Why isn't the media covering this more extensively? Maybe they are worried that people will panic and cut back on all spending.

We have an intelligent group here. Why do you think the media is downplaying unemployment and issues around being unemployed?
JaneWI
JaneWI
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm

mrgolf wrote:

I had expected hundreds also. In fact, that is what I mentioned to the HR rep - "I imagine that hundreds applied." Thirty applicants was not the many considering that this was a nationally advertised position.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

If you have a Facebook account, comment on the first post on his wall:

https://www.facebook.com/CongressmanConyers

Suggest combining the bills.
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Wouldn't you agree that this is just a little bit late?? What really yanks my chain is that they keep insinuating that the problem revolves around "unskilled" labor. In other words, there's so many jobs out there, but the remaining unemployed just aren't skilled enough to fill them. I DON'T WANT ANY MORE TRAINING DAMN IT - I want to get back to work. The area in which I live is full of industry - they just aren't interested in hiring Americans.

sbraney
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by concernedinKY Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 am

Support it.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h870/actions_votes
concernedinKY
concernedinKY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:55 am

Done.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Terrific Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next