Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 Cspan_live_play-1

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week..

+11
mylife
X
UPCHITCREEK
aloneinpa
doreenb
elvis44102
Phillymg
unemployed2long/1208
charming23
gigichicago
concernedinKY
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week..

Post by gigichicago Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

nuttin2lose wrote:So lookin forward to an update!!

Sitting on pins and needles. I am looking forward to a positive response to the meeting.

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 710712
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week..

Post by UPCHITCREEK Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm

nuttin2lose wrote:So lookin forward to an update!!

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 443306 Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 616899

UPCHITCREEK
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I am with you nuttin.... hope to hear something positive. It will be a miracle to hear it is still alive! and on the agenda!we'll see. If anyone hears something definite about goings on then post it. But be factual!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Job/hobbies : unemployed/living

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 pm

meeting is over and my conclusion is Screwed!!!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gigichicago Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 pm

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:meeting is over and my conclusion is Screwed!!!

Barbara Lee's Meeting THIS Week.. - Page 2 812460 Looks like they talked about jobs, not H.R. 589. Sorry, you are right, screwed again.

Last edited by gigichicago on Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
gigichicago
gigichicago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Only 800,000 jobs created in 4 months.....yet there are 13 million unemployed & 9 million underemployed. Meanwhile the Obama administration continues to support outsourcing & offshoring of millions of US jobs to India, China, & Brazil. Nobody cares about laid-off American workers. Stick a fork in us--we're done. It's outright genocide.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Fri May 13, 2011 1:06 am

Before blaming Pres. Obama, I'd start with this pathetic bunch (including the Blue Dogs):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/28/AR2010092802768.html

They're the ones who killed a bill that would have discouraged outsourcing. I find Sen. McConnell's criticisms of the bill to be cynical, hypocritical, and nonsensical in the extreme, but that goes for everything he ever says.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Fri May 13, 2011 1:27 am

Our fate was pretty close to sealed when the voters shot themselves (and us exhaustees and soon to be exhaustees) in the foot in the 2010 election.

I haven't completely given up yet, and I think the same is true for Barbara Lee, the CBC, and the other good members of Congress who are on our side.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by doreenb Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 am

there are so many 99ers, why arent more people outraged???? Common our numbers are strong contact your reps and the white house!!!!!

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Fri May 13, 2011 9:39 am

They prove Americans are gullible. The WH brags about 244,000 new jobs and it truly gives the illusions that things are fixed. After all when one hears 244,000 new jobs were created in one month. Your thoughts are " Hooray!! Wow, things are great!! Thats when we are ignored and the true reality is what about the other 13 million.. did you mention with your 244,000 new jobs and say "BUT I am sorry, we still have millions out of work that need jobs and will keep going up ".. NO! BTW! Also there are 400,000 new jobless claims avg. each week. So all the so called new job creations don't keep up with the new jobless claims, We are a black eye to the pres.(No pun intended). He will avoid all discussion of the unemployed during his campaign speeches because it is a negative... Woe be unto us!!!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by doreenb Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 am

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:They prove Americans are gullible. The WH brags about 244,000 new jobs and it truly gives the illusions that things are fixed. After all when one hears 244,000 new jobs were created in one month. Your thoughts are " Hooray!! Wow, things are great!! Thats when we are ignored and the true reality is what about the other 13 million.. did you mention with your 244,000 new jobs and say "BUT I am sorry, we still have millions out of work that need jobs and will keep going up ".. NO! BTW! Also there are 400,000 new jobless claims avg. each week. So all the so called new job creations don't keep up with the new jobless claims, We are a black eye to the pres.(No pun intended). He will avoid all discussion of the unemployed during his campaign speeches because it is a negative... Woe be unto us!!!

We need to rise up and have a major march on Washington!!! They need to see our numbers!!!

doreenb
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployed2long/1208 Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 am

truth wrote:Before blaming Pres. Obama, I'd start with this pathetic bunch (including the Blue Dogs):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/28/AR2010092802768.html

They're the ones who killed a bill that would have discouraged outsourcing. I find Sen. McConnell's criticisms of the bill to be cynical, hypocritical, and nonsensical in the extreme, but that goes for everything he ever says.

Don't take holding someone accountable as blame. he is accountable. And also IMO failing. He will ignore the unemployed tomorrow for his political hide. He doesn't need the unemployment and unemployed as baggage. So he will distance himself far from us!! Watch. Whoop's, keep watching as it is going on now!
unemployed2long/1208
unemployed2long/1208
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Fri May 13, 2011 5:58 pm

I was responding to this statement: "Meanwhile the Obama administration continues to support outsourcing & offshoring of millions of US jobs to India, China, & Brazil".

If the President is accountable for outsourcing and offshoring, I can think of a whole lot of other people a lot more accountable, and I would start with everyone who voted against the bill I mentioned in my post. If the GOP had let that bill pass, Pres. Obama would have signed it in a minute. That bill was designed to reduce offshoring.

truth
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillymg Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Regarding the article posted about the 111th Congress's S3816 bill--
Four Democrats and Senator Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) voted with a united Republican caucus to block the bill.....On a vote of 53-45, the measure failed to garner the 60 votes needed to overcome a GOP filibuster.....Democrats voting to block the bill were Ben Nelson (Neb.), Jon Tester (Mont.), Mark Warner (Va.) and Max Baucus (Mont.). Baucus, Chairman of the tax-writing Senate Finance Committee, complained.....that the measure would put the nation at a "competitive disadvantage."
Hi Truth. Cool I admit I was frustrated yesterday yet somehow I'm not feeling anymore positive towards the Adminstration's position on outsourcing/offshoring today.

Tho Ben Nelson is surely a Bluedog.....as far as social issues go.....the other 3 Dems and Lieberman aren't what people typically refer to as Bluedogs. In fact Bluedogs Evan Bayh & Mary Landrieu voted 'yes' on S3816 (Blanche Lincoln abstained).

The power of every President includes the ability to lobby members of his/her party to vote 'yes' on bills the Adminstration wants passed. For example the Healthcare bill which even got Ben Nelson's vote. One problem with S3816 is that it contained temporary cuts in Social Security taxes for employers who brought jobs back to the US but the President planned (as we discovered) to use SS cuts in the 'Tax Cut Deal' bill.

The fact is that in his first State of the Union address in 2009 Obama promised that he would make repealing the tax credits for sending US jobs overseas a priority.....& since then he's pushed full steam ahead on supporting outsourcing & offshoring of American jobs. For example--

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/We_will_block_protectionism_Geithner_assures_India_-nid-66937.html

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-02-17/outsourcing/28554050_1_h-1b-visa-treasury-secretary-timothy-geithner-senator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-elk/obama-administration-uses_b_579678.html

To be fair to Obama.....on the campaign trail he flip-flopped often on the subject of outsourcing.....sometimes saying it was really bad & other times saying it was really good. Since then he's tried to give convincing arguments why sending jobs abroad is good for the US economy. Yet so far the only evidence consists of 3 trade deals with India, China, & Brazil (can post links if you want) which give them alot & offer American workers piddling little.

I voted for the man. I *want* to believe him. But allowing corporations to toss aside millions of trained/educated/experienced middle-aged Americans in what should be the prime of our producing potential & replace us with cheap overseas labor is %^&$#$*.

Now he's gone over a year refusing to push for more weeks of UC to help the longterm unemployed. I don't believe what Rep. McDermott's office told me.....that during the Tax Cuts for the Rich negotiations the Repubs 'refused' to extend the number of weeks. I believe that Obama never asked for more UC weeks to be put into the 'Framework' deal.

I read what you said about not being ready to give up on him yet. I was going to post a question asking you what the option is for the 99ers & other exhaustees when it's finally been made crystal clear there won't be any more weeks period. The corporations oppose more weeks, so Obama does too.....he just won't come out & say it.

Sorry for the long post.....I have more to say but will post it on an HR589 thread.

Phillymg
Super Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by theend Sat May 14, 2011 2:08 am

sadly enough we can tax the s**t out of the big companies and they can pull what little they have left here out and totally move,out of the US.Then what? Jobs leaving to other countries has been going on 40 years. We have lost 50,000 manufacturing jobs a month to china since 2001. The last company I worked for had huge shipments coming in that said made in china on the boxes. They dumped those parts in our company box and shipped them out,making people believe they were made in USA.There was a time in our history where no american worker would have stood for this,but there was also a time when people wouldnt buy s**t made in other countries.In the start of all this there were choices between american products and someone else.American consumers picked less costly foreign stuff over the american stuff.Pretty soon the american companies couldnt stay in business.Even when american companies were dropping like flies Americans bought foreign stuff.Go to a store like hardware find something made here!The point is there isnt a choice anymore!Because almost nothing is made here and we all helped create this.My old company now has 12 cars in the parking lot. I bet they still supply the same people they did 5 years ago, or atleast any company that hasnt made direct deals with china.I used to make many things in small companies for the US auto industry. What kinda of cars do we buy?We chose things based on what we saw as a better value, but when big business does the same thing we blame whoever we can for it.

theend
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by X Sat May 14, 2011 3:57 am

Oh Christ, I love starving journalists to be.

JUST SAY, MS LEE... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

if you don't get an answer then you have the answer. LET'S ALL STOP MESSING AROUND.

Ask Senator Lee what the hell is up!

After all these months, you want to word around the issue? WHAT IS UP!
X
X
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2