Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

Short in dishwasher??? Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
Short in dishwasher??? Cspan_live_play-1

Short in dishwasher??? Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Short in dishwasher???

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Short in dishwasher??? Empty Short in dishwasher???

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Here is a strange one. The other night my nephew said he got a shock from the kitchen faucet. This happened while the dishwasher was on. I actually thought he was imaging it but the other night I went to the faucet and felt a current running through it while the dishwasher was on. Just started happening a few days ago and doesn't happen all the time.

Of course we are freaked out over this and now use a plastic spatula to turn on the water. Is this fixable?

Short in dishwasher??? Electric-shock
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Short in dishwasher??? Empty Re: Short in dishwasher???

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

It means you have a bad ground to the DW. Just wondering, did this start after you had work done to the stove? Repair guy could have left something loose.
Call someone in. This is not a DYI for the novice.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

The oven guy didn't go near the dishwasher. it is on the other side of the room. Could it still be connected. (BTW, it just started happening)
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks knarf for getting back to me so soon.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm

mrgolf wrote:The oven guy didn't go near the dishwasher. it is on the other side of the room. Could it still be connected. (BTW, it just started happening)

The ground could have loosened or broke just from normal vibration. In any event, you need to bring someone in to fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:52 pm

knarf wrote:It means you have a bad ground to the DW. Just wondering, did this start after you had work done to the stove? Repair guy could have left something loose.
Call someone in. This is not a DYI for the novice.

Yep I agree, dont need a water source for your ground or you may be the one ending up in the ground. Not trying to be funny here, per knarf, bite the bullet and get somone out to correct it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

I personally would shut the breaker on it, til it's repaired. You could inadvertently touch something else while turning on the faucet, and never be able to let go until you are nice and crispy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

knarf wrote:I personally would shut the breaker on it, til it's repaired. You could inadvertently touch something else while turning on the faucet, and never be able to let go until you are nice and crispy.

Good advice. In my earlier, I can do anything years, I have been zapped many times trying to swap out electrical outlets, lights, etc and finally one day figured that it was safer to shut down the breakers, then do the work. Its not a good feeling to have live current run up you arm!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Especially when you become the ground! There is no chance of letting go. When you play with live electricity, most times it will knock you back or the like.
Completing a ground is a whole nother ball game.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Repairman has been called.
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:02 pm

knarf wrote:Especially when you become the ground! There is no chance of letting go. When you play with live electricity, most times it will knock you back or the like.

OK I always knew that and made sure there was no way I was grounded but the little creepy tingling sensation was enough, well a liile more than tingling but you know, young and macho man, dont need the breakers tripped, I'll handle it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm

The only time I go out of my way to turn off a breaker is when it is armor shielded or in a metal conduit. Otherwise, no I don't, and yes I have been bitten!

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

online sources seem to relate any shock from water faucet at fauly hot water heater/grounding

http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric_shocking_truth_grounding/
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 pm

knarf wrote:Especially when you become the ground! There is no chance of letting go. When you play with live electricity, most times it will knock you back or the like.
How do you become "the ground?"
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm

elvis44102 wrote:online sources seem to relate any shock from water faucet at fauly hot water heater/grounding

http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric_shocking_truth_grounding/[/quote]
Interesting article and have no idea what it said to do, better call a professional!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

booniebeast wrote:
elvis44102 wrote:online sources seem to relate any shock from water faucet at fauly hot water heater/grounding

http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric_shocking_truth_grounding/
Interesting article and have no idea what it said to do, better call a professional![/quote]

Mrgolf stated it only happened when the DW was running. Most DW are fed water from under the faucet area. The water is trying to complete a circuit from the DW which could happen if another ground source was actually touched. eg, would be an electrical outlet plate. Just touching the plate alone would do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 pm

The obvious problem would seem to point to a problem with the dishwasher...
But looking things up online seem to point to a fiberglass lined hot water heater that maybe faulty inside..

I was always taught that the pipes are earth ground...it seems the lining on a hot water heater can interupt earth ground....

just thinking it is always best to not assume its a dishwasher problem and keep an open mind..

http://www.diyforums.net/electrical-shock-a-plumbing-problem-4629325.html
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13 pm

knarf wrote:
booniebeast wrote:

]http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric_shocking_truth_grounding/
Interesting article and have no idea what it said to do, better call a professional!

Mrgolf stated it only happened when the DW was running. Most DW are fed water from under the faucet area. The water is trying to complete a circuit from the DW which could happen if another ground source was actually touched. eg, would be an electrical outlet plate. Just touching the plate alone would do it.

If I was mrgolf and didnt want a really funky hairdo, I would not touch the plate!

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:26 pm

by booniebeast Today at 8:13

""If I was mrgolf and didnt want a really funky hairdo, I would not touch the plate""

I would not fool around with this problem myself, either....
just the little bit of reading I did, seems to point to it as a kinda strange problem but not unknown...

The is Earht ground which is zero .....and another thing that seems to take into account 3 phase power and something refered to as "relative ground"....there may be a voltage potential between the two (relative and earth) this could produce a "small: shock....

Right after reading that, I would say its time for professional service....
elvis44102
elvis44102
Elite Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

An old story along these lines. We rented an old, really old farmhouse back in the late 80;s/early 90's. The deal was, it was $200/month but we were responsible for anything that went wrong outside of the structure or roof etc. Well it had the old glass screw in breakers in the circuit breaker box. They kept blowing out. A good friend was a licensed electrician and offered to replace it for free (steaks and beer required though). So we did. He was hooking up the main line to the house when he was done and it was raining like crazy with high winds and all. I told him to stop as we'd be OK with no electricity until tomorrow when things got better. But, "Crazy" Doug was gonna finish. He got hit by a surge from a 220 line on the ladder hooking it up. Went in, hit right shoulder and out his right ear lobe. He still finished the job. After, drinking a cold one, he said that was the best one ever. We had a good time and he did a great job and I think he is still nuts!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 pm

The repairman came out today. Good News-Bad news. Bad news first. He looked under the dishwasher for the reason for the short. Very, very dirty. Lots of mice and rat droppings. He wouldn't work on it until it was cleaned up under there. That is going to be Jose's first job here when he comes here for his work-rent exchange.

The good news is that he cleaned out the dishwasher and it works better than it ever has. Dishes came out sparkling clean tonight
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:42 am

I would say, the good news is, them thar rodents didn't chew thru the plumbing and the electicity when they were hanging out under there. Your house and you guys could have been just a memory. They might have chewed thru enough wire insulation to create the problem you have now tho.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgolf Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:57 pm

OK, here is where we are today. We pulled the dishwasher out, turned the power off and cleaned underneath the dishwasher. It was beyond filthy. Huge pile of crap including mice/rate feces.

Jose found some wires that were knawed thru by the rats/mices. We replaced that wire. Pushed the dishwasher back in and turned on the power. Hit the start button and...........NOTHING. No lights are coming on the front of the dishwasher. Turned the power back off and Jose checked the connections to be sure they were correct. Still nothing.

When I went down to Home Depot I took the old piece of wire. It must have been 25 years old. I forgot the name the guy called it but they don't carry it. The wire he gave me had a ground wire in it and the old one didn't. Could that be the problem.

Looks like we might be hand washing the dishes for awhile
mrgolf
mrgolf
Monster Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Where did this wire go too? A junction box, or directly to the breaker box?
I need a point A to a Point B on the wire you removed.

EDIT: The ground wire is not going to make it not run, BUT!! it does need to be hooked up.

I'd much rather see you call someone in. You could lose your house, and LIVES if this is not done right.

Last edited by knarf on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

mrgolf wrote:OK, here is where we are today. We pulled the dishwasher out, turned the power off and cleaned underneath the dishwasher. It was beyond filthy. Huge pile of crap including mice/rate feces.

Jose found some wires that were knawed thru by the rats/mices. We replaced that wire. Pushed the dishwasher back in and turned on the power. Hit the start button and...........NOTHING. No lights are coming on the front of the dishwasher. Turned the power back off and Jose checked the connections to be sure they were correct. Still nothing.

When I went down to Home Depot I took the old piece of wire. It must have been 25 years old. I forgot the name the guy called it but they don't carry it. The wire he gave me had a ground wire in it and the old one didn't. Could that be the problem.

Looks like we might be hand washing the dishes for awhile
Check your breakerbox?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next