Displaced American Workers United - The web's most active unemployment forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Help is out there.

Please Call.

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Logo
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

C-Span Live
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Cspan_live_play-1

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Cspan2_live_play
Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'

3 posters

Go down

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Empty 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'

Post by Jen Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 pm

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'
http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5023

Unemployment Discrimination. As
early as June 2010, jobs ads reading “the unemployed will not be
considered” began to appear. This growing trend combined with several
other incidents involving discrimination on those who are jobless,
prompted Georgia Rep. Hank Johnson to introduce H.R. 1113
last Thursday. The legislation would protect unemployed individuals by
adding language to the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act. Last year, Rep.
Johnson contacted the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity on the matter.
The 1964 Civil Rights Act outlawed blatant discrimination against blacks
and women and made racial segregation illegal. Signed into law by
Lyndon Johnson, it ended unequal application of voter registration
requirements and racial segregation in the workplace and public
facilities.'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Johnson_hank-241x300
Johnson

Johnson’s press release (March 16, 2011): read the legislation–> Fair_Employment_Act2011
Congressman files bill to protect unemployed in Civil Rights law;
Johnson: ‘All Americans Deserve the Opportunity to Work – Rep. Hank
Johnson today introduced the Fair Employment Act of 2011 – H.R. 1113 –
which would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect against
discrimination on the basis of unemployment status. Congressman
Johnson’s bill responds to widespread reports of job listings that
explicitly exclude unemployed applicants. Some advertisements stated
that applicants “must be currently employed” or stipulated that “no
unemployed candidates will be considered at all.” Some ads read, “No
layoff candidates considered.”
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Unemplo-300x192“Employer
discrimination against unemployed job applicants is fundamentally
wrong,” said Rep. Johnson, who represents parts of DeKalb, Rockdale and
Gwinnett counties in eastern metropolitan Atlanta. “With unemployment at
about 9 percent and with nearly 14 million Americans out of work, this
discrimination will only prolong the crisis.”
According to a Bureau of Labor
Statistics report in February 2011, the national unemployment rate is
8.9 percent. The rates for African-Americans and Hispanics, however, are
15.3 percent and 11.6 percent, respectively.
“Discrimination
against the unemployed smacks of days gone by when signs read, ‘women
need not apply,’ ‘Irish need not apply’ or ‘no Blacks allowed,’ said
Johnson. “I’m going to do all I can to fight for the unemployed.”
In November, 2010, Rep. Johnson sent a letter to U.S. Equal
Employment Opportunity (EEOC) Commission Chair Jacqueline Berrien to
request an investigation into possible discrimination against the
unemployed. The EEOC held a hearing on the issue Feb. 16, where they
identified this troubling trend as growing threat to the unemployed,
especially the long-term unemployed.
As Chair Berrien said, “[The] meeting gave the Commission an
important opportunity to learn about the emerging practice of excluding
unemployed persons from applicant pools.” Johnson, a member of the
Judiciary and Armed Services committees, has 11 cosponsors, including
Barbara Lee, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Yvette Clark, Keith Ellison, Raul
Grijalva, Jim McDermott, Shelia Jackson-Lee, Ed Towns, Bennie Thompson
and Charlie Rangel.
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Empty Re: 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'

Post by Michfemale11 Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Excellent. I live one county north of the counties he represents. It's nice to see some good coming out of GA lately.

I read in the local news here yesterday that I live in one of the two area cities that saw new unemployment claims rise recently.
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Job/hobbies : Full time mom, 99er, seeking work

Back to top Go down

'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Empty Re: 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'

Post by Jen Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

bounce
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Yea.....Finally someone gets it.... Surprised
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 pm

bounce
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michfemale11 Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Well, as I said in my post on this thread yesterday, I live one county north of his representation. "Trolling" Craigslist this evening in the ATL Craigslist "Manufacturing" section looking for jobs, I found this, which would have been an absolutely perfect fit for me, as this town is where I live AND I have 20 years of experience to back it up, but will NOT be considered due to this staffing companys DISCRIMINATION: (Take special note of #6 under "requirements", and also I love that they have given the FULL NAME of their staffing company):

More info
Manufacturing Jobs up to $12 per hour (Gainesville, GA ONLY)

Date: 2011-03-18, 6:02PM EDT
Reply to: [email=manufacturing.jobs@perimeterstaffing.com?subject=Manufacturing%20Jobs%20up%20to%20%2412%20per%20hour%20(Gainesville%2C%20GA%20ONLY)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fatlanta.craigslist.org%2Feat%2Fmnu%2F2273126925.html%0A]manufacturing.jobs@perimeterstaffing.com[/email] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Perimeter Staffing Placements has…
HIGH PAYING MANUFACTURING JOBS in GAINSEVILLE, GA…ONLY!

Requirements for Employment Consideration: No Exceptions!
1. Must be PROFICIENT in MATH and be able to pass a MATH test at time of application
2. NO Misdemeanors and/or Felonies of any type ever in background
3. Must be Drug Free, we will do a Drug Test at time of application
4. Must be legally authorized to work in the USA
5. Must have reliable transportation
6. Must have continuous work experience for the past 24 months without major gaps in employment

JOB Requirements are as follows: No Exceptions!
1. Must have a minimum of 3 to 4 years Manufacturing experience
2. Manufacturing experience preferred
3. Compound Blending experience a plus
4. Non-food manufacturing required
5. Must have worked at least 3 years on the same job…no job jumping
6. Team Leader Experience Preferred
7. Must have workplace maturity(great work ethic, on time every day, great work performance and great attitude each day)
8. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs
9. Must be proficient in Math with math problem solving skills

Job Specifics:
1. Hourly pay rate up to $12 per hour depending on experience
2. Work Hours: 2nd shift: 3pm-11pm
3rd shift: 11pm-7am (must have previously worked 3rd shift) no exceptions!
To apply:
1. Call us at 678-745-0214…DO NOT Call if you do not meet all the requirements
2. Submit your resume to manufacturing.jobs@perimeterstaffing.com
3. Do not come to the office. We will not see you without a scheduled appointment

We will schedule an interview only if you meet all of the requirements listed in this Ad.
For the interview, you need to bring:
-2 forms of ID’s (i.e. Driver’s license and social security card or original birth certificate)
-1 copy of your resume
-Dress appropriately and professionally for an interview…no jeans, t-shirts, hair wraps, etc.
THANK YOU,
Perimeter Staffing Placements.3429 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd, Suite G, Suwanee, GA 30024
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Michfemale11 wrote:Well, as I said in my post on this thread yesterday, I live one county north of his representation. "Trolling" Craigslist this evening in the ATL Craigslist "Manufacturing" section looking for jobs, I found this, which would have been an absolutely perfect fit for me, as this town is where I live AND I have 20 years of experience to back it up, but will NOT be considered due to this staffing companys DISCRIMINATION: (Take special note of #6 under "requirements", and also I love that they have given the FULL NAME of their staffing company):

More info

Reply to: [email=manufacturing.jobs@perimeterstaffing.com?subject=Manufacturing%20Jobs%20up%20to%20%2412%20per%20hour%20(Gainesville%2C%20GA%20ONLY)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fatlanta.craigslist.org%2Feat%2Fmnu%2F2273126925.html%0A]manufacturing.jobs@perimeterstaffing.com[/email] [Errors when replying to ads?]

1. Must be PROFICIENT in MATH and be able to pass a MATH test at time of application
6. Must have continuous work experience for the past 24 months without major gaps in employment

7. Must have workplace maturity(great work ethic, on time every day, great work performance and great attitude each day)

Job Specifics:
To apply:
3. Do not come to the office. We will not see you without a scheduled appointment

We will schedule an interview only if you meet all of the requirements listed in this Ad.
-2 forms of ID’s (i.e. Driver’s license and social security card or original birth certificate)
-1 copy of your resume
-Dress appropriately and professionally for an interview…no jeans, t-shirts, hair wraps, etc.
THANK YOU,
Perimeter Staffing Placements.3429 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd, Suite G, Suwanee, GA 30024
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 163631
They have got to outlaw this discrimination! This is so wrong! It is not our fault that we got laid off and that there are no jobs! What do they want us to do? Just lay down and die?
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michfemale11 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes, and then we're told "Just get a J-O-B"... 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 812460
Not only that but what really steams me is that, as I mentioned, I have 20 years in this field and meet ALL of the other requirements! It's a decent wage too... 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 91263

I really think I'm going to forward this job ad to Johnson, I mean obviously he knows this discrimination is out there or he wouldn't be calling for the change, but I can EASILY find more examples of this locally and show him what's right in his own backyard! 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 312486
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Michfemale11 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Cherry picker/Order Picker (Norcross)

Date: 2011-03-18, 1:28PM EDT
Reply to: [email=job-pdgwn-2272533730@craigslist.org?subject=Cherry%20picker%2FOrder%20Picker%20(Norcross)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fatlanta.craigslist.org%2Feat%2Fmnu%2F2272533730.html%0A]job-pdgwn-2272533730@craigslist.org[/email] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Large Distribution Facility in Nocross is seeking experienced Order Picker/Cherry Picker. Candidate should also have regular forklift experiene and also electric pallett jack experience. Candidate must have at least 2 years of recent experience driving a order picker/cherry picker. Most positions will be 2:00 p.m. or after and will require overtime. Candidate must be flexible with shift.

Yep, found another already. I won't bore you any further with regards to keep posting these, but it's quite rampant here if I can find 2 out of the only 10 that I have looked at so far.
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeptheFaith Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Jen wrote:
Michfemale11 wrote:Well, as I said in my post on this thread yesterday, I live one county north of his representation. "Trolling" Craigslist this evening in the ATL Craigslist "Manufacturing" section looking for jobs, I found this, which would have been an absolutely perfect fit for me, as this town is where I live AND I have 20 years of experience to back it up, but will NOT be considered due to this staffing companys DISCRIMINATION: (Take special note of #6 under "requirements", and also I love that they have given the FULL NAME of their staffing company):

More info

Job Specifics:
To apply:

-1 copy of your resume
THANK YOU,
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 163631
They have got to outlaw this discrimination! This is so wrong! It is not our fault that we got laid off and that there are no jobs! What do they want us to do? Just lay down and die?

Thats exactly what they want us to do......This is so ridiculous......We desperately need this bill to pass in order to stop this discrimination......It's not our fault that there are no jobs and the ones thats out there want the perfect person to take it....I am so fed up with this crap......What do they want us to do.....ALL I WANT IS A JOB.....is that too much to ask for.... 'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 163631
KeeptheFaith
KeeptheFaith
Premium Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Michfemale11 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:24 pm

OK, I was so mad that I wrote my rep., Tom Graves, and urged him to support Hank Johnson in regards to H.R. 1113 and I also asked for support for H.R. 589. Here is a copy of my email:

Mr. Graves:
I am writing to urge you to please support Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04), in regards to his proposal H.R. 1113, The Fair Employment Act of 2011. I have been an UE exhaustee since March 2010, look every day to find a job, and encounter rampant discrimination because even though I have 20 years of experience in my field, I am discouraged and even told NOT to apply in ads because I do not have two years of RECENT experience. Exhaustees are told to "Just get a J-O-B, yet we are stuck in a catch-22 because of the discrimination. This cannot be allowed to continue. How else can we be expected to survive?
I also urge you to support H.R. 589 to help us survive while we continue to look for jobs that just aren't there, until someone gives more than just lip service to the idea of "job creation". We WANT to work, we NEED to work, we have families and CHILDREN to support. We cannot allow our own to suffer needlessly in the meantime. It is cruel and inhumane and a form of genocide to not extend UE benefits.
I would like to include two examples of job ads I found this evening, in YOUR district and locally. Mind you, this is two out of the first ten ads that I had encountered on this one particular site:

Reply to: [email=job-pdgwn-2272533730@craigslist.org?subject=Cherry%20picker%2FOrder%20Picker%20(Norcross)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fatlanta.craigslist.org%2Feat%2Fmnu%2F2272533730.html%0A]job-pdgwn-2272533730@craigslist.org[/email] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Large Distribution Facility in Nocross is seeking experienced Order Picker/Cherry Picker. Candidate should also have regular forklift experiene and also electric pallett jack experience. Candidate must have at least 2 years of recent experience driving a order picker/cherry picker. Most positions will be 2:00 p.m. or after and will require overtime. Candidate must be flexible with shift.

Here is proof of what we're up against. Please support these bills for our survival!
Thank you,
(my name)
Michfemale11
Michfemale11
Valued Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Michfemale11 wrote:OK, I was so mad that I wrote my rep., Tom Graves, and urged him to support Hank Johnson in regards to H.R. 1113 and I also asked for support for H.R. 589. Here is a copy of my email:

Mr. Graves:
I am writing to urge you to please support Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04), in regards to his proposal H.R. 1113, The Fair Employment Act of 2011. I have been an UE exhaustee since March 2010, look every day to find a job, and encounter rampant discrimination because even though I have 20 years of experience in my field, I am discouraged and even told NOT to apply in ads because I do not have two years of RECENT experience. Exhaustees are told to "Just get a J-O-B, yet we are stuck in a catch-22 because of the discrimination. This cannot be allowed to continue. How else can we be expected to survive?
I also urge you to support H.R. 589 to help us survive while we continue to look for jobs that just aren't there, until someone gives more than just lip service to the idea of "job creation". We WANT to work, we NEED to work, we have families and CHILDREN to support. We cannot allow our own to suffer needlessly in the meantime. It is cruel and inhumane and a form of genocide to not extend UE benefits.
I would like to include two examples of job ads I found this evening, in YOUR district and locally. Mind you, this is two out of the first ten ads that I had encountered on this one particular site:

Here is proof of what we're up against. Please support these bills for our survival!
Thank you,
(my name)
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' 990903
Jen
Jen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 am

Jen wrote:'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed'
http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5023

Unemployment Discrimination. As
early as June 2010, jobs ads reading “the unemployed will not be
considered” began to appear. This growing trend combined with several
other incidents involving discrimination on those who are jobless,
prompted Georgia Rep. Hank Johnson to introduce H.R. 1113
last Thursday. The legislation would protect unemployed individuals by
adding language to the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act. Last year, Rep.
Johnson contacted the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity on the matter.
The 1964 Civil Rights Act outlawed blatant discrimination against blacks
and women and made racial segregation illegal. Signed into law by
Lyndon Johnson, it ended unequal application of voter registration
requirements and racial segregation in the workplace and public
facilities.'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Johnson_hank-241x300
Johnson

Johnson’s press release (March 16, 2011): read the legislation–> Fair_Employment_Act2011
Congressman files bill to protect unemployed in Civil Rights law;
Johnson: ‘All Americans Deserve the Opportunity to Work – Rep. Hank
Johnson today introduced the Fair Employment Act of 2011 – H.R. 1113 –
which would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect against
discrimination on the basis of unemployment status. Congressman
Johnson’s bill responds to widespread reports of job listings that
explicitly exclude unemployed applicants. Some advertisements stated
that applicants “must be currently employed” or stipulated that “no
unemployed candidates will be considered at all.” Some ads read, “No
layoff candidates considered.”
'Johnson: Change Civil Rights Act to Stop Bias Against Unemployed' Unemplo-300x192“Employer
discrimination against unemployed job applicants is fundamentally
wrong,” said Rep. Johnson, who represents parts of DeKalb, Rockdale and
Gwinnett counties in eastern metropolitan Atlanta. “With unemployment at
about 9 percent and with nearly 14 million Americans out of work, this
discrimination will only prolong the crisis.”
According to a Bureau of Labor
Statistics report in February 2011, the national unemployment rate is
8.9 percent. The rates for African-Americans and Hispanics, however, are
15.3 percent and 11.6 percent, respectively.
“Discrimination
against the unemployed smacks of days gone by when signs read, ‘women
need not apply,’ ‘Irish need not apply’ or ‘no Blacks allowed,’ said
Johnson. “I’m going to do all I can to fight for the unemployed.”
In November, 2010, Rep. Johnson sent a letter to U.S. Equal
Employment Opportunity (EEOC) Commission Chair Jacqueline Berrien to
request an investigation into possible discrimination against the
unemployed. The EEOC held a hearing on the issue Feb. 16, where they
identified this troubling trend as growing threat to the unemployed,
especially the long-term unemployed.
As Chair Berrien said, “[The] meeting gave the Commission an
important opportunity to learn about the emerging practice of excluding
unemployed persons from applicant pools.” Johnson, a member of the
Judiciary and Armed Services committees, has 11 cosponsors, including
Barbara Lee, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Yvette Clark, Keith Ellison, Raul
Grijalva, Jim McDermott, Shelia Jackson-Lee, Ed Towns, Bennie Thompson
and Charlie Rangel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 am

bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down